July 22, 2010

Behind the Wall

I could see him approaching towards me and I was getting numb with fear. He stood right in front of me and looked into my eyes. "Are you scared of me?", he asked with a smile on his face. I looked at his eyes, though there was a smile on his face those eyes never seemed to have accompanied his smile. Almost a minute had passed and I stood there dumbfounded.

I know this guy or it would be better if I say I see him every day but haven't ever talked to him. This was the first time we had confronted each other. It has been almost two months I always saw him at a house in my neighbourhood staring at my terrace. There lies a wall between his house and mine and that is why I call him "a guy behind a wall".

In the morning , when I go to school he is there and when I come back from school he is there. From months I have been feeling his presence. Even  at night when I go to bed , I can't stop thinking that is he still there behind the wall looking at my terrace? That day when I met him  on the way and he tried to talk to me I could not respond.

He handed me a card and went on his way. Only after sometime I felt like I have regained my senses. I walked as fast as i could and when i got home i opened the card. His letter was somewhat like this:

It has been a part of my everyday life to keep an eye on your terrace.You might find it funny or rather strange but it's true even at night when I go to bed, I keep my windows open so that if you come to terrace, then I can have a last glance of you before going to bed. Sometimes I cannot sleep more than three hours, with a thought of seeing you again in the morning.

Now, you might have known what I feel about you and I  want to know do you have any kind of feelings towards me or not? Don't know why but i think you too have something for me. Am I right?You might be afraid that I would meet you tomorrow and ask you what have you thought. Don't worry I won't coz I am feeling bit unwell nowadays and doctor has told me to rest for sometime. So for somedays you might not see my by the wall. You might be thinking what a relief ! See you soon .

Love Sanjiv.

He was right, I didn't see him for couple of weeks. One day, suddenly I heard the sound of ambulance and when I went to terrace I saw some people holding sanjiv and pushing him inside the ambulance. A lady was crying and running after him, probably she was his mother. Even my parents saw this but as we were not close neighbours so no one inquired about what had happened. After that day I have not seen Sanjiv. His parents sold that house to someone else. Many years have passed since that day but even today I feel that someday he would suddenly come in front of me and ask me what I have thought about him. Sometimes I wake up screaming in dreams when I see him.His thoughts still haunt me like a ghost even today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment